Monday, July 6, 2009

Learning the knots and the knits

July 4th 2009 - I retired one year ago after 35 years in the banking business. What to do - What to do - What to do? Everyone has a plan for me - even me!

I'm not all that crafty, but I had crocheted for years, had done macrame in the 70s (Didn't everyone?) and was ready for something new.


I am also an avid reader -- why is that important? Well, I started reading a Debbie Macomber book about a woman who opened a knitting store "on Blossom Street" and how the women in the book met other women who learned to knit and became friends. .... I was hooked... I had to try knitting!!! What a great way to meet women in my community and to learn something new! Additionally, I had a family situation come up - where I was going to be spending a few weeks staying with an elderly family member - I could knit and talk - or knit quietly if my family member nodded off! Of course I have an MP3 player with some books on tape or music to listen to - while knitting. A long drive in the car or on a plane - and I would have something to keep me busy while traveling. Sounds perfect doesn't it?
The part I wasn't counting on -- I LOVE knitting! After practicing my basic stitches with some inexpensive yarn - I was buying other yarns and decided my first project would be some fingerless mittens for my mom. She seems to always be cold - so these mittens would be a nice present for her 80th birthday and she would be able to wear them when reading a book or doing her crochet work. I found a pattern on line at Ravelry.com and then headed off to the local Michael's store to pick our the perfect yarn. I found Simply Soft in a pale blue - washable yarn - and made up the mitts. I was a bit challenged - as there were new stitches - Cable - Moss, but I struggled through the right hand (the way the pattern is listed) and then had to figure how to reverse the pattern so the thumb ended up in the correct place on the left hand. A few trys -- and the use of some pattern markers - and they turned out OK!
So what is next - more mitts? Probably... but now I want to try socks -- double pointed needles! YIKES! I've started my practicing - which means I work it and tear it out a few times and I am learning to handle all those needles at one time. My plan is to make 2 socks (1 pair) by the end of July. I 'll check in again in August and let you know how I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment