Friday, November 19, 2010

Women Friends - Who needs 'Em?

When I was young ( under 13) I had girl friends.  My parents moved into a new development in 1960 and most of the families had kids some my age some younger but all  of us qualified as baby boomer kids. I had close girl friends through junior high school (some places call it middle school) and into high school.  I was more of a tom-boy growing up.  I played baseball in the street with the guys, rode my bike with the guys and even had a paper route.

As boys became more interesting though, I still had girl friends.  The primary function of girl friends at that stage of my life was to talk about boys and parents.  We seemed to be able to talk for hours in person and on the phone (they were land lines).  Some of us were lucky enough to have our own phone number so we didn't have to hear our parents tell us to "get off the phone - someone might want to call".  Of course no one ever called the house for our parents!!

After high school, things changed though.  I didn't go away to college, but I did move out of my parents house and worked days and went to school nights.  Somehow, during that time girlfriends became co-workers and the talk changed from boys and parents to school and work, boyfriends and if we would ever get married.

For the next 30 years, girlfriends became people I knew at work or the women in other couples, but  not really people I spent time with.

I retired 2 years ago, and many of my work friends are still working.  Their lives are still overwhelmed with the day to day issues of the job; while I have moved away from those issues.  It is not that I am not interested in the job; but as things change at work I am not involved in the politics of the work place,the daily stresses or even the accomplishments.

I am now able to spend more time doing the things I enjoy, and the need for women friends has become more important.  My husband is wonderful. My step kids are too, but being able to share experiences with women friends has become something special to me.  Perhaps it is because we women know the probability that we will outlive our husband; or perhaps we want someone to share our concerns about our husbands health issues or even our own aches and pains that we don't want our husbands and kids to know about.  Whatever the reason, having a peer group of women to talk with, share experiences and even complain to is a wonderful thing.

I am meeting new women here in Arizona; both in my knitting group and in my book club group.  These women come from different places in their lives with different backgrounds. Some are married; some not.  Some have children or step children; some not.  All have something to offer.   I have something to offer too; friendship, a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to lean on or cry on.  How wonderful that these women have opened their hearts to me.

Women friends - Who needs 'em?  I have found that I do!

1 comment:

  1. HI ALY, I AGREE WITH YOU. I TOO NEED WOMEN FRIENDS. AS I GET OLDER THE MORE I NEED THEM. WHEN I WORKED AND HAD A FULL LIFE IT WASN'T AS IMPORTANT TO HAVE WOMEN FRIENDS, BUT AS I AM OLDER I FIND THE NEED TO SHARE MY TIME WITH WOMEN WHO HAVE SIMILAR INTERESTS.

    I HOPE YOU HAVE ROOM FOR ME IN YOUR CIRCLE OF FRIENDS.
    ILA

    ReplyDelete